and then she said...

Do you ever meet someone and hit it off right away? You start to think how happy you are that you can meet someone at your work (or grocery store, or school, or wherever) who has the same interests as you, is kind and nice. Just kind of makes your day.


I recently met someone at work like that. She heard I had been to Cuba and she and her husband had just been, so she came over and said hello. Turns out her daughter was leaving in a couple of weeks to go to the very resort we went to. We talked about tips and best places to go and stuff. It was good. I was brimming with new friendliness.

And then she said... "I just don't like that they have different money over there. Why do they have to have their own money? I just don't trust that."

And I was dumbfounded. The smile went stale on my face. Was I hearing what I thought I was hearing? She didn't trust that a country had it's own currency?

Now when I meet her in the hallway I say hello and smile and nod. I don't think we have as much in common as I thought we had.

4 comments:

ccap said...

Oh heavens! I had a situation like that (not QUITE like that) where I thought I was really liking someone and then I ended up being in a car with her and she threw her empty coke can out the window and I was completely dumbfounded. HOW could I continue a friendship with someone who would so blatantly litter?

Pat said...

Small people, small minds. You could stay on the walk with her and enlighten her mind or just walk away. What kind of challenges are you up for or not?

Pat said...

Obviously she has not traveled much and is a very sheltered person, poor thing :)

Allan and Judith said...

Maybe she was talking about how tourists use the convertible peso, which is different from the currency that locals use? (Hopefully, for her sake?) I don't know of other countries besides Cuba that have two different currencies, one for locals and one for tourists. It is a bit wierd. Apparently it helps the government to control for inflation better.