on a less preachy note

When Daryl and I were dating he did all sorts of sweet little things for me... bought me a poinsettia, baked me cookies, made me pizza, walked through -30 weather to leave little notes on my door while I was at work. And I ate it up.


"Enjoy it" my two favourite friends said. "Enjoy it while it lasts."

"Oh, I think Daryl's different," I actually said to them with these words coming out of my own mouth. "I think he'll still be doing all these little things even once we're married. "

Oh, Corrie, you're sweet but so, so dumb.

I found myself saying to Daryl while on the phone with him while he's away tonight, "...and, because I don't think you've picked up on any of my hints in the past... any kind of a little gift will do. I'm even talking tic-tacs kind of a little gift." He laughed sheepishly.

I don't know why I need a little gift. It's not like I don't know he loves me. It's not like we don't get to spend lots of time together. All I know is that when he gives me a gift (not even something extravagant - I beamed over the two containers of 50% off yogurt he got me, you'd have thought they were matching diamond earrings) something inside of me lights up.

And I love that he can make me feel that way like no one else.


2 comments:

Terry's Girl said...

ahhh...the special little something that you get from your love signifying you were,indeed, high in his thoughts while the two of you were apart....trust me, your not alone. :) bring me home a new shovel for the winter and i will light it up!

pamero said...

I agree, you are sweet, but so, so dumb. But you did pick out some lovely flowers for yourself the other day!