two photos and one forgotten piece of information

I didn't mention that we went to the British Museum (below) and had a fantastic time. We looked around, sat down for a while, looked around again... it was great. The only sad thing was that because the museum is open late Thursday and Friday nights, they close off a few of the exhibitions to cut down on extra staff. Sad. There were a few things I wanted to see but didn't. But, most museums in London are free (hooray) so I guess I'll let it go. This time.

And below again is a picture of us having lunch in a little cafe in Hamburg. I don't know why I like it so much. Maybe because it invites you to be a part of the scene? Maybe because you can tell how exhausted we all are and just how good that cup of tea was? In any case. I enjoy looking at it.

And one more thing I forgot to mention. While we were in The British Museum we got to see... THE ROSETTA STONE! I have always wanted to see the Rosetta Stone every since we were living in Cairo and I learned about it in Egypt Culture class. Basically, no one could translate hieroglyphics because they didn't think they were like letters that sounded out words but there were more glyphs there than just each picture representing one word. So they couldn't figure it out. Then, someone digs up this piece of broken rock that has a decree about how to worship a king on it and it has three languages on it 1. Hieroglyphics (which were falling into disuse in Egypt by that time) 2. Denotic (which was the newer Egyptian written language) and 3. Greek (which was used by the ruling authorities of the day). And voila! The Rosetta Stone! They could now translate any hieroglyphs they wanted because they knew both Greek and Denotic and knew they were both saying the same thing! So they knew that the hieroglyphics would be exactly what the other two said! And it turned out that the glyphs were both symbols for letters and pictures representing words. ISN'T THAT COOL?! It's like a secret spy translating tool, but real! And I got to see it! Very exciting.

Now leave before you discover just how much more of a history geek I really am...

3 comments:

mmichele said...

I confess. I cried when we saw the Rosetta Stone.

Terry's Girl said...

How very intersting. i can't wait to read more.
what an exciting adventure.
Have fun!!!

beckster said...

Haha I totally thought the pink sweater girl in the museum picture was Pam, then I made it bigger and was like "What is up with her hair??" Haha...its not Pam..Pam is much cooler than the weird hair girl in the pink sweater.