canoedling

Our canoe trip was excellent. We paddled a lot, got sunburns, admired the scenery, got a million black and blue bottle fly bites, got cuts and bruises, were rained out of tent and home, and left before I was ready to give it all up.

Whenever I'm out there I feel like I'm a sponge, trying to absorb as much as I possibly can - the feel of the sun and wind on my face, the sound of paddles pulling through the water, how the lichen on the rocks scratches my bare feet, the way food tastes better cooked over a campfire, how reassuring it is to have a warm body you love beside you in the tent when it's dark and raining. I come home feeling recharged and more settled in my spirit. At the risk of sounding too cheesy, I feel a place deep inside of me become calm as soon as we put the canoes on the lake and dip our paddles in the water.

Life is so simple and yet so harsh out there. If it rains for over twenty four hours and all the dry wood you tucked under the tarp gets used up on lunch and supper you eat granola bars for breakfast. You don't have the option of just giving up when you're in the middle of the lake and you've been paddling for hours through the white crested waves and the wind is against you. You simply keep going beyond discomfort and tired muscles and sore hands.

I think I like the challenge because I like the reward. Peace is so much more satisfying when it has been fought for.

10 comments:

L said...

What song is that please?

corrie said...

That is "Lark" by the tremendously endearing Josh Ritter from his latest album "So Runs the World Away." I CANNOT stop listening to it.

Thanks again, Bec.

beckster said...

I am actually crying I am so jealous of that right now! It's funny how I actually recognized every one of those camping spots in the pictures. Like they are a little but of my summer home. How I miss them...

I am glad you all had a good time though. It looked mighty wonderful.

Oh Josh...

Court said...

I can't believe that I haven't gone on a canoe trip yet. And now with little kids... I'll add it to my bucket list! Looks like a great time!

Terry's Girl said...

I love love when you guys do a photo video. Looks like a lot of wet fun. I am sooo craving another canoe trip, I just need someone to plan one for me... :o)
My favorite part of this whole post:
"I think I like the challenge because I like the reward. Peace is so much more satisfying when it has been fought for."
I sure know what you mean there cuz.

Kathryn said...

Corrie - I love the song too! AND that photo of you and Daryl near the end is Beautiful!

pamero said...

WoW. Ni-ice video!! Fun times, fun times...and now I am addicted to that CD too!

Mom said...

Oh, how I ache to go on an old canoe trip like we use to. Never thought I would not go canoeing during a Manitoba summer :(

Mom said...

By the way, awesome video. Made me feel like I was there. Brought to mind many happy, reflective memories. Thanks :)

beckster said...

I think your blog may be my favourite. I know I can't ask you to blog more, due to my lack of blogging. But I do like it quite a bit!