scoff-free zone

I'm not a sappy person. If we were watching a cheesy movie and you looked over at me (justastheherotoldtheheroinethathelovedhermore thanhelovedlifeitselfandwoulddoanything toearnherloveinreturn!) you would see me rolling my eyes and thinking, "As if." This attitude applies to action movies, science fiction, horror, and whatever else is thrown my way. I scoff. I'm a scoffer.

But there are exceptions.

I never scoff at Mr. Darcy.

I never scoff at Jesus Christ Super Star.

And I never scoff at Bollywood.

I don't know why, but I adore Bollywood. And it is the very definition of scoffable. But instead of scoffing, I sigh as a tear gently falls. I rejoice in the happy endings, I sob at the tragic endings, my heart soars when the characters randomly burst into song, I envy the dancing, I wish I could wear the costumes.

It's okay with me that other people don't like Bollywood movies. I won't try to convert anyone. I understand... they make my cheese-o-meter go off the charts, too. But I'm not going to stop watching or enjoying them. I might be a little embarassed about it from time to time but my heart belongs to Bollywood.


By the way, my dad asked to borrow one of my Bollywood movies. I was pretty excited...

4 comments:

mmichele said...

i think it's the innocence in bollywood that makes one feel it would be cruel to sneer at it. the tear jerking moments aren't meant to manipulate the way hollywood tries to.

Linda said...

There was a line on a Grey's Anatomy that you'd love. One of the doctors had lost his wife and child and his girlfriend suggested to him that he never really dealt with their deaths and he came to the US to run away. To which he responded (with deep love in his eyes), "I wasn't running away from them, (pause) I was running to YOU." Even Wes groaned at that one.

pamero said...

Corrie, I know just what you mean. Only, whereas you practically loved bollywood from your first film 'experience', i have come from pure and utter scoffing/hatred/puking to enjoy those crazyit in almost the same way you do. Almost. I can still manage to scoff a bit if it's been a while. Or if it's Paheli. But ahhh, the many times I've enjoyed them, especially Veer Zaara. We'll have to watch it again soon!

Kim O said...

oh corrie, you said it better than I ever could. bollywood makes my heart happy...