latest

Sometimes words impact me so much that I listen to songs or read poems or verses over and over again, like I need to absorb them better. This is the lastest song that I cannot get enough of. It's called Oh My God and it's from Jars of Clay's latest album, Good Monsters. Read it to the rhythm of two beats a second. If you know what I mean...


Sometimes I can not forgive and these days mercy cuts so deep,
If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep.
While I lay, I dream we're better, scales were gone and faces lighter,
When we wake we hate our brother, we still move to hurt each other,
Sometimes I can close my eyes and all the fear that keeps me silent,
Falls below my heavy breathing, what makes me so badly bent?
We all have a chance to murder, we all have the need for wonder.
We still want to be reminded that the pain is worth the plunder.
Sometimes when I lose my grip, I wonder what to make of heaven,
All the times I thought to reach up, all the times I had to give up.
Babies underneath their beds, in hospitals that cannot treat them.
All the wounds that money causes, all the comforts of cathedrals,
All the cries of thirsty children, this is our inheritance,
All the rage of watching mothers, this is our greatest offense
Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God

2 comments:

Krista said...

I am obsessed with this album and I love this song. It's one of those 'cry of my heart' songs, for sure. Thanks for posting it.

corrie said...

I'm so glad you used the word obsessed. I feel that way, too, but didn't want to actually admit it. The drowning/breathing line in the first song gets me, too...