tuned for sleep

I could not sleep last night. I hate nights like that. I stayed up reading for a while and then tried to sleep. Didn't work. I went online for a while and then tried to sleep. Didn't work. I read some more. I lay with my feet pushing against the wall. I hummed to myself. I thought scary thoughts then quickly thought nice ones. I watered my plants. I tossed and turned. I made a trek to the dark bathroom. I kicked the blankets off my feet. I pulled them over my shoulders. I closed my window. I opened my window. When I had finally finished my book (which I was not even near to finishing when I climbed into bed for the first time that night) and turned off the light to try to sleep again it was 3:58am. And then, when my body is so perfectly tuned for sleep it's time to get up. And there's construction banging around outside, and an insane bird RIGHT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW that sounds like it's being strangled. Sigh. So now it's off to work... I'm wrinkling my pleated skirt and don't feel like ironing it again. And I'm wondering if the lack of sleep will hit me while I serving a table and will make me forget the day's specials. Or while I'm carrying a tray of full wine glasses. But. If nothing else, I have a great cd to listen to on my walk to work. How's that for optimistic?

3 comments:

ccap said...

Comment #1: Oh man. I hear you! That was me after our MI3, coffee outing. Blech.

Comment #2: Down Here, I presume?

corrie said...

#2 You know it! But I should really stop listening to it. I listen to it CONSTANTLY. I keep waking up with their songs in my head...
favourite new lyric:
we drink the wine and eat the bread, our senses will remind our heads

Linda said...

Best thing for me is to go to another place (bed, couch), and read for a while. I usually fall asleep within an hour.