daughter

When Daryl and I got married I felt like I had been waiting my whole life to enjoy marriage. Coming home to him, making supper together, trips to the grocery store and picking out what we needed for the week. My husband. It was like unwrapping a hard candy I had been saving in my pocket and finally savouring it. I rolled it around in my mouth again and again. My husband, my husband. I was so happy it had finally happened. It was a title I had been waiting to call someone, not just someone... THE someone.

And now we have a child. And she is... indescribable. We love her so much, it's embarrassing how much time I spend just looking at her, watching her, getting her to smile just one more time for Mommy. I have a... little girl.

As easy as it was to adjust to having a husband I find I can't quite yet believe that I have a daughter. My mind pauses and stumbles over the word. A daughter? How is this possible? I stare at her like she's a little stranger, where did she come from, who does she belong to? A daughter? Can it really be?

Yet here she is. Needing a diaper change, needing to be held and rocked, needing her mama, needing milk, milk, milk!

Maybe my mind will come to understand these words slowly. Maybe my brain needs some time to adjust to something so huge, a daughter. My daughter. My Evangeline.

My good news.

6 comments:

Krista said...

Yes. She is YOURS. And no, no one will come and ask for her back (it took me years to get over that feeling when I first had Kai). You get to keep her. Best of blessings. Be in God's joy in every moment because he has given you the desires of your very good, very loved heart.

Terry's Girl said...

I have been waiting for this blog...I kept seeing little sneak peaks of your little baby girl (who looks like a doll she's so perfect) on FB and Instagram but I was looking forward to your words.
I am beyond happy for you and Daryl. I would say enjoy the moments as they come, but I have a suspicion you already know that. Congrats Corrie & Daryl.

Court said...

I'm with Donna, I love hearing this in your words.
Much love to all three of you!

Kim O said...

Now it's my turn to cry! You got me....

pamero said...

Sometimes I still look at Oscar, when he's sniffing my knee like some crazy kid and think, that's MY little boy. I have a son. He calls me Mama. It's so weird. Those moments are getting less than the first few months we were getting to know each other, but I too wonder how long does my brain need to adjust. We love you guys, our favourite new little family.

Mom said...

I still sometimes think those thoughts and have those feelings looking at you , my grown children. How proud I am of all of you ! Did I really raise such beautiful , precious, unique in each their own way adults. Am I the Mother of these wonderful adults ? !