shelter from the rain

So, I was walking home from work today when it started raining. Sprinkling, really, but soon there were bigger and bigger drops until I noticed everyone around me had umbrellas up and, silly me, without an umbrella or jacket. I started walking faster and faster - as fast as my poor, sore feet would allow without breaking into an all out run. Thankfully, there are several large, sheltering trees on the walk home and the sidewalk beneath them was clear and dry. I slowed down under the trees, enjoying the brief respite from the growing rain.


Pausing my brain from it's busy thoughts (but not my feet from their busy steps) I thought of how many metaphors there are about God being a sheltering tree to us. Sheltering us from rain, from heat, from wind and snow.

And suddenly I remembered Psalm 1. As a Kidventure team one time we memorized the entire Psalm (not that it's that long) as a memory challenge for ourselves.

Blessed are they
who do not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

But their delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law they meditate day and night.

They are like trees planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in season
and whose leaves do not wither.
Whatever they do prospers.

It struck me that the very characteristics I wanted to credit to God, God holds up as an example for me. We, too, are like trees. Imagine, I can be like a tree - sheltering, providing for others, my very presence a respite from the growing rain.

What a challenge and a glowing promise.

3 comments:

pamero said...

Hmmmm...just one more reason to love trees...

beckster said...

There, thats one reason there is one on my back. Now can you just be around every time someone asks me about it's "meaning"?

Beautifully put.

Mom said...

Letting you know that your "shelter
from the rain" post is being used as a devotion by your Dad for his
devotional input at Cedar Rapids.
He still says you should be publishing your writting!! :)