not the most exciting post ever

I have to say, after having it for a couple of months now, I really like having a dishwasher. Pam and Don brought over breakfast today (their way of bribing Daryl to do more work for Don) (the secret is, he would happily do it anyway) and when we were done I cleaned everything up and barely even got my hands wet.

I still have to work on not thinking of all the dirty dishes sitting there, just getting smelly. I also have to work on putting pots and pans through a cycle because I still feel more comfortable washing them by hand. I mean, can they really get clean in the dishwasher? Actually... I still rinse off everything I put in there...

Kay, so I have some issues of trust with the dishwasher. We're not best friends yet.

But it does make life easier.

Except for the pile of pots and pans in my sink waiting to be scrubbed. And the bowl full of soaking cutlery that I have to re-wash because it wasn't quite clean enough for me when it came out.

Oh man, maybe this wasn't a good idea. Maybe the dishwasher and I should go to couple's therapy so we can work on our issues. Maybe I'm overworking it and it resents me. Afterall, I never thank it for doing all my dishes for me. I often resent the way the fan goes on and on and on and sometimes walk into the kitchen and just turn if off after making a snide comment to the dishwasher about unnecessary noise. Maybe it has some complaints about the working environment in our house. We don't buy the really expensive dishwasher soap, just whatever is cheapest at the time. Maybe it would like something a little more upscale. How am I supposed to know? I've never owned a dishwasher before! Is there some kind of ettiquette book I should be studying in order to keep my dishwasher happy and washing dishes?

Maybe I'll just go back to washing dishes by hand. That way we'll both be happy. Well... the dishwasher will just be a dishwasher but I'll be guilt free.

11 comments:

pamero said...

Yeah, but then you'll just have to spend so much time doing the washing up.

Terry's Girl said...

After we got rid of the old yucky dishwasher that left food gunk and was loud and intrusive, we got a new dishwasher. This new one is wonderful...we figured out the best detergent to use together, it likes the tabs the best...it is so quiet and seems to purr at times,it really enjoys the liquid booster I give it every so often.
The new dishwasher is our very good friend, we wouldn't want to live with out it. We work well together, it cleans and sanitises after I am sure to scrape all the chucks off first. Oh dishwasher, I think I will go home today and clean out your screen trap.

corrie said...

What is this screen trap you speak of? If I cleaned it out would it make my dishwasher like me more, too?

I'm relieved I'm not the only one having a relationship with my dishwasher...

Terry's Girl said...

Well, I can't speak for all of them but our super awesome dishwasher has a cup type screen in the buttom of the washer that you can just lift out dump out the crud, rinse and start fresh...also see if you can turn the heat up a bit for your water...make s a HUGE difference, oh the tabs, don't forget the tabs..wonderful! next week we will talk washing machines. LOL .. :o)

pamero said...

Boy, you guys almost make me wish I had a dishwasher to have a relationship with! ;P

Terry's Girl said...

Oh. and sometimes. when i am cleaning stuff to recycle. I put it in the dishwasher so it can make me special melty sculptures. salad dressing containers are fun!
ok, i'll stop now.
TGIF

corrie said...

Melty sculptures you say...? Homemade christmas presents here I come!

beckster said...

If I get some inanimate object of melted plastic for Christmas I am not giving you your Toronto present!
(I don't know what it is yet, but it is sure to be awesome! So, just keep that in mind dear Corrie.. :))

pamero said...

Well I'll take a special melty sculpture christmas present if only to remember this woonderful blog time! And I can't help it, I like the phrase 'so it can make me special melty sculptures!' It makes me want one... :)

Damero said...

'Special melty sculptures' you say? How can I get my hands on one of these. All the kids are talking about them...

Damero said...

... no their not really talking about them. And I don't want one either. But if you happen to make one, I want to see it!