ha ha/yuck

Funny story.

I was at work today chatting with a regular customer (whoops, I mean regular guest) and if you know me at all you know that "chatting" is one of my least favourite things to do. I would rather come home and clean out my oven than "chat" with people. But he was alone for lunch and I had some spare* time. And, hey, that's just the kind of server I am. I care about my guests. I faked that I was interested in his stories, and laughed at his bad jokes. Let me just reiterate that he was alone for lunch and a regular.

Then he asked me out to a violin concert tonight.

I had never thought of him as creepy before but suddenly I saw him in a new light. The kind of light you see a man in when he's over sixty, in every week with a new woman, and who asks servers who are much younger than him out for the night. Gross.

So, I told him I might be able to join him if I could rearrange a few things and people I had to meet with tonight. I made a couple of fake calls to my sister and then went back and told him it wouldn't work for me because I couldn't get ahold of the person I was meeting with, but I hoped he had a good time. On his way out he tipped me twenty dollars. Gross.

What I should have said, instead of lying and making the fake phone calls, was that if I wanted to go out with an old man I'd go out with my dad. Ha ha. Just kidding, Dad.

Actually... I'm not kidding... I'd let you take me to a movie, or out for supper. Give me a call sometime, Dad...

*by spare time I mean about seven extra seconds between taking orders, listing the specials, picking up food, clearing tables, figuring out our new till, and then times two because I was training a new server.

10 comments:

mmichele said...

ewww.

maybe next time you could give him a nice grandma's phone number?

mmichele said...

oh my. i'd be so tempted by a violin concerto, though. i think i know the one he was talking about and yes, i would be tempted. but i wouldn't get into a car with him... just take the ticket and run.

pamero said...

oh man.
that title is ohsoappropriate.
20 bucks!

Kim O said...

wah wah wah.

corrie said...

Ha ha ha! You got me, Kim. Your comment put a smirk on my face and made me do one of my little laughs that you hate so much...

Did Don give you permission to use his signature line?

Kim O said...

Haha.... update your blog already... you can't possibly be that busy...

pamero said...

Kim, I'll let you know Corrie has been VERY busy catching up to last seasons tv with me, her favorite sister. oh snap!

Unknown said...

Regular customers and all their weird quirks... I've seen quite a few. Seem to have shaken off one of my usual ones. Soemare nice, some are very unique!!

ccap said...

Okay, okay, the "ha ha/yuck" subject header is getting old. Time for something new.

pamero said...

I agree.
It's now october.
Do you need some blog ideas like becky?