J + R

Sigh.

I'm supposed to be writing my last paper of the semester. This weekend I've spent every free moment (there weren't many) finishing Jane Eyre so that I could write a paper on the major themes found therein.

I loved it. I've read it before, but this time with fresh eyes. And I loved it.

"'Soothe him; save him; love him; tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?' Still indomitable was the reply - 'I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad - as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation; they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour.'"

Who were these brave women who wrote such things against such obstacles? What an inspiration...

1 comments:

Linda said...

I had to read Jane Eyre in high school and I hated it. I'm sure it had something to do with my attitude...
Maybe I should read it again. I might like it.